June 21, 2010

On CHÊNH VÊNH (the upcoming series)

CHÊNH VÊNH describes the situation that I've been feeling a lot lately concerning my emotional state, more specifically regarding my working hours. One week I look at a schedule of 20+ hours, the next week back to working 10 hours.
But that in itself is a blessing, as I find myself plenty of time to emerge into photography and graphic designs.
That feeling of tottering carried into the upcoming series I will be introducing. Inspired by a friend's photographs, I decided to experiment with the new technique of tilting the camera, putting the model on a diagonal axis. Immediately, the photos seem to be less static and snapshot-like, at the same time, that technique fits perfectly with the theme of tottering as I was talking about earlier.
This series was the beginning of my exploration of composition, of lines, colors and textures, and of how to use those basic elements to create an interesting mood for the photographs. I used to think that I need to be at an inspiring locale or have an excellent model to capture beautiful pictures, but now I realized that "...the subject of a photograph is far less important than its composition. Absolutely anything can be photographed well - or poorly." (The Photographic Eye)

0 comments: